Noteworthy Places Help
Noteworthy Places allows you to collect map coordinates and related information for your current location. It is designed to help you when website information is not available, the locale is difficult to understand, time is limited, or you simply don't want to memorize every last detail about where you are all at once. Locations to store may include favorite beaches, dog parks, restaurants, new home sites or anywhere that peaks your interest.
The following information details the steps and options for using Noteworthy Places.
- A Note On Location And Address Accuracy
- Starting Noteworthy Places
- Adding A Location & Information
- Reviewing & Sharing A Saved Location
- Finding A Saved Location
A Note On Location And Address Accuracy
Noteworthy Places relies on the iPhone's hardware and software for its location information along with an Internet connection to the Google Map services for dynamic map and address information. If you are not able to receive location service while using Noteworthy Places, any new location will not be saved with map coordinates. In these cases, you may want to manually enter an address and reference it later with Google maps. Additionally, the address information provided by Google may not always be completely correct which may be because an exact address for the location cannot be determined. (Please refer to Adding A Location & Information to see how you can edit or manually enter address information.)
Starting Noteworthy Places
After you have tapped the Noteworthy icon, the home screen appears to provide a small map which shows your current location. This is the central navigation point for using Noteworthy Places with its three key functions described in this help. It also provides access to the Info screen through the 'i' in the lower right, where you can navigate to the Noteworthy Places web site to leave feedback, access support, and this help information.
Adding A Location & Information
- From the Noteworthy Places home screen, select ADD Location. Noteworthy Places will immediately start to find your location and address.
- To enter information into any of the editable fields, tap the field. You can choose to enter as little or much information as you like. None of these fields are required in order to save a location:
- Name – A keyboard appears to type a name to associate with the location.
- Address – This field automatically populates with the closest known address based on the latest map coordinate reading. If an address is edited, the last map coordinates will be locked and the location accuracy indicator at the bottom of the screen will read 'Location Frozen'.
- Phone – A numeric keyboard appears to add a phone number specific to the location. Noteworthy Places does not restrict the format but to make a call, it must be acceptable to the iPhone's phone application. For example, there must be no spaces between characters (i.e. (408)123-4567 and 408.123.4567 are allowed but (408) 123-4567 is not.)
- Category – A listing appears of available category options to select. An option must be selected to close the listing even if you want to leave the location as 'Uncategorized'.
- Rating – Tap the number of stars to assign a rating. The rating can also be erased if tapped just on the left of the stars.
- Comment – A keyboard appears to type comments. This field also respects any added line returns in the display on the Detail view. Typing a web address in this field will also activate as text to launch a browser if tapped from the Detail screen. Tap Done when finished.
- VoiceMemo – Touch the red dot icon to record a voice memo and it will start to blink, signaling it is recording. Tap the icon again to stop the recording or let it naturally time out after 15 seconds. The text to the right in VoiceMemo changes from 'None' to a triangle icon when a recording has been attached. The recording can be played back by tapping the triangle icon on any screen where it appears.
- Photo – Tap the pictures icon to select a picture already on your iPhone or tap the camera icon to take a new picture. There is one picture allowed for each location and it can be replaced as frequently as desired with either photo source. The text on the right in Photo changes from 'None' to 'Got It!' when a photo has been attached.
As you are adding a location, view the Location Accuracy text and colored light at the bottom of your screen.
The Location Accuracy message gives information about the estimated accuracy of the automated map coordinate reading of your current location. The accuracy is displayed in meters if you are in a locale using the metric system; otherwise, it is displayed in feet. Noteworthy Places continues to update readings until you choose to Save your location. As the readings become more accurate, the Location Accuracy message updates to reflect this. For example, "Location Accuracy within 30 feet" means that the iPhone estimates your location to be accurate within 30 feet.
The colored light next to the Accuracy message is a confidence indicator. If the color is:
- Red - No location readings have been obtained. A location should not be saved with this color.
- Yellow - Multiple readings are being generated with improved differences in map coordinates. A location can be saved but may get better with more time. If the returned address is accurate, there is no problem in saving with this color.
- Green - No improved readings have been received for 60 seconds. This is likely the best reading obtainable. Generally, with more time and slight movement, the reading will become more accurate and return a more precise address.
- Tap Save in the upper right to store the location with any edited information. It will now display the saved information in the Detail screen and later appear with the name as a listing in the Locations list.
Note: GPS signal strength and Internet access will affect map displays and reading collection. Be aware of this when you are in areas with low signal strength or high interference, such as remote areas and inside certain buildings. In addition any time the Google Service is down, the same difficulties may occur.
Important: Selecting Save from the Add screen locks in the map coordinates for that location. Going back to edit information including the address, will not change the saved map coordinates.
Reviewing & Sharing A Saved Location
There are 3 ways to review a location's saved information and each will take you to the same Detail screen. Selecting Done when you are finished will also take you back to its given starting point:
- From the Add screen, select Save.
- From the Locations list screen, select a location item from the list.
- From the Noteworthy Places home screen, select strong>Last location. (This is convenient if you were interrupted and need to return to the last location you viewed.)
The Detail screen allows you to view all saved information for a location at once and provides options for using the information:
- Get Return Directions To A Saved Location – From the Noteworthy Places home screen, tap the List locations button at the top. From the Locations list screen, select the desired location from the list. This will take you to the detail page for that location. At the bottom of the page tap the Directions button. This will bring up Google Maps from which you can select the desired return directions.
- Send Email to a Friend – Tap the Email button at the bottom of the detail screen to set up the email. Tap the To: field and enter the email address of the desired recipient(s). All available matches from your contact list will automatically appear for your selection. This goes for the Cc/Bcc field as well. You can choose to edit the message or keep the default; if you have a picture, it will be attached automatically unless you remove it. When ready, tap Send. You can also choose to Cancel if you change your mind. In either case, a confirmation message will appear.
- Share on your Facebook wall – Tap the Facebook icon at the bottom of the detail page for any of your locations. Noteworthy Places will build a page which you can choose to publish or Skip. If you have a picture, it will be attached along with the location name, address, link to Google maps, and your optional comments.
- Make a Call – With a saved phone number (without spaces), tap the green phone icon to automatically make a call. This will take you out of the Noteworthy Places application but once you finish your call, you can return to this Detail screen by restarting the application and choosing Last Location.
- Listen to a Voice Memo – With a saved voice memo, touch the play icon labeled 'Memo' to listen.
- Launch a Web Browser – If your Comments include a web site URL, tapping the web address text activates the iPhone web browser to open on that website. This will take you out of the Noteworthy Places application but once you finish, you can return to this Detail screen by restarting the application and choosing Last Location.
- View Location Map – Tap the map thumbnail on the left to see a full size map view. As in Google maps, pinch or widen the screen with your fingers to zoom the view.
- View Saved Picture – Tap the picture thumbnail on the right to see a full size view of the picture.
- Delete This Location – Press the bottom Delete button to erase the current location. A confirmation prompt will appear.
- Change Information – For adding or editing information for a saved location, tap the Edit button in the upper right corner. This will take you to an Edit Detail screen that has all the functionality of the Add screen (see Adding a Location & Information above), except that your location and address information will not be automatically updated. Cancel will take you back to the Detail screen without saving changes and Save will update the changes while landing you back on the Detail screen.
Finding A Saved Location
- The fastest way to find a saved location is to use the Last location feature from the Noteworthy Places home screen. If you are looking for a different location, use the following instructions for finding it with the list feature.
- From the Noteworthy Places home screen, select List locations.
- By default, all saved locations are shown in the listing.
- Tapping Name, Rating, Distance, or Date buttons sorts the list by the labeled attribute. Based on the selected sort, each record conveniently displays its sorted value at the end of the address line.
- Name sorts the list alphabetically.
- Rating sorts the list from highest to lowest.
- Distance sorts the list from closest to furthest.
- Date sorts the list from most recent to oldest.
- Selecting a Category or entering a Keyword instantly refines the list to display all saved locations matching the criteria. These can be used together as well as in combination with each of the sort buttons.
- Category filters the list by one selected category at a time. By default, the setting is All Categories which can also be selected in the Category list to cancel making a selection in the field.
- Search (indicated by the microscope icon) compares the text in the field to all text fields (i.e. Name, Phone, Address and Comment fields) in all saved locations, and shows all available matching results as each character is typed.
- Tapping a listed location opens all of its associated information in the Detail screen. From there, you can review it and also choose to edit it. (See Adding A Location & Information for changing information.)
Thank you for choosing to use Noteworthy Places. If you have additional questions, please use our contact page to reach us.